Wednesday, September 10, 2008

amnio day

this is how our day went...
slept in late (sort of i was up at 5am but went back to sleep) woke up around 10 ish
brushed teeth 
ate breakfast- pancake (yes just 1) and egg and 1.5 slices of bacon and 1/4 of a nectarine.
brushed teeth again ( yes this is a fact  when i am prego my teeth BUG me to no end)
showered (oh what i would give for a magical shave thingy that would make this easier during Pregnancy)
got dressed (good thing too cause the sight of me au natural is... let's say not for the faint of heart)
gave out my "rules for the next few days"
  • under no circumstance are you to make any noise that might be considered a sound effect for pain. or else you will be kicked out of the amino ( this means you too watson)
  • I may not be much fun during induction if for some reason you get on my nerves i will kick you out it is not because i don;t love you i just love me & my sanity more.
  • Getting kicked out is not the worse thing that can happen. take it as an act of mercy if you know me and my temper you might be better off out of the reach of my vicious tongue.
left for Clinic
rode in car to clinic, don't think i yelled at watson in the car once (ok maybe once)
got to the clinic a few mins late
then we waited 
played with mom's cell
and waited
played with the ipod 
and waited  after about an 1.5 hours we were called in....
we got in the room i made MOm sit in one chair and watson sit in another... Just in case.
quick sono to check heart rate.
in come the Docs. not 1 not 2 but 3 of our 5 Docs were there.
in attendance Dr. D (Rockstar Chief Resident), Dr. W (perinatalogist #2 i have 2 that are supervising my case), Dr. H (Resident in High Risk clinic). Watson, my mom and the MJ the sonographer me and the poppy (DUH)

The ACTUAL procedure:
sono to find a good pocket of Amniotic fluid
Dr. W does first pass find a pocket he would push with one finger on my belly when he found a pocket on the the screen to see where if the pushing would correspond on the screen.  Then Dr. D & Dr W switched places so Dr. D could do the "TAP" (that is OB speak for an amnio)
Dr. H was great distractor, we like her a lot, but Dr. D wanted to do the procedure.
once a good pocket was found my belly was swabbed with betedine and a one of those blue plastic cloth type surgical drape thing that stick to you with a 6" x 4" "window" in it. 
Sono doppler in one hand and back on belly needle in other hand
the poke it self was not so bad i watched the monitor. i used few relaxation techniques for the stick. not so bad.
it did take a few seconds to collect the fluid but not too long. few deepish breaths and it was over.
Dr. W said "Looks mature" 
the other two said  i did great and that they hoped to see me tomorrow and some other small talk. we asked again what exactly we need to have the induction.
we need positive lung maturity of 3.5 or higher (because of the Gestational diabetes) and PG+  (this is some kind of lipid found in amniotic fluid when the fetus is mature) 
off they went then, MJ came over and  clean up my belly did another quick sono to check heart rate post amnio
then down the hall we went to the the second part of the procedure a NST to confirm the baby hasn't gone into distress.
my BP was up a bit for me 120/80 not terrible especially considering i had just had a 6" needle stuck in my belly.
on the monitor for 20-30 mins...
baby was perfect. even had a few small contraction while i was there... WOOHOO.
Dr. W came in to check the tracing (more OB speak.)
he said "you can't ask for a more perfect reading"
no real restictions. relax and wait. and hope for good numbers.

from there we went to lunch 
the cemetery to visit Lucy
then i said let go by the mall for a walk around
then we hit a small farmers market
called A (it's her birthday today she is 7)
stuck my finger to check my Bg --141. YIKEs! i guess super cheese Quesidilla, w/ beans, steak & No veggies not a good meal option for a girl with GD oh well)
came home 
and here we are 
I spoke with a different Dr. H at 9 pm and my results aren't in yet... so we continue to wait....

in the mean time check out this belly shot!

No comments: